1st year, London life

I don't reckon my blog to receive much hits, especially when there are way so many others out with more hot posts to go around, you know, the usual topics, politics, economic crisis and the same blah which made the headlines every single day without fail. It is ironic actually, when we come to think of it, the media works by publishing issues that they think appeal to the public, and on the other hand, the public is counting on the media to report what is going about around the globe. Unfortunately, at the end of the day, the media is still a business entity, like or not, they'd have to go with what actually sells. Anyway, enough rambling about the media.

1st year is officially over now that exams are over, so it is finally time for me to write about my own personal experience about the transition into becoming a uni student. First and foremost, I must warn you though, given that I am such a lazy sloth, my story may not be too appealing, unlike those of which you normally hear from people studying overseas but nevertheless, it still is my own personal encounters, thus nobody can take that away from me.

Studying is not much difference if you are used to the environment of boarding schools or colleges. The only twist here is the fact that not everyone around you are taking the same course as you, so expect to be really alone unless you go out there and make some friends. Personally speaking, technically you could survive studying on your own, but it does get pretty boring at times. Plus, two heads are always better than one, ain't it? Gee, that does not sound too difficult so far does it? It does not stop there, expect to do a LOT OF READING! Alright, maybe that is just me and my course, since I don't really know how much reading the rest of friends have to do for their course. Yeah, whether to go for digital textbooks or the ever-lasting normal paper books, that is entirely your call. I use both if possible because that way I can bring my work anywhere I am. As far as I know, the Law students have to do the most amount of reading all year long, with cases and all to be read and memorized.

Make it a habit to always read, otherwise you'd just not only feel so left out in conversations but also, you will feel so embarrassed the moment you step foot inside the tube. That is the first thing which stroke me when I was first introduced to travelling by tube. In a way, it made me feel so small to be standing there among them because in my head I can't help but wonder, God knows how much these people know or how many books have they read throughout their life. There is almost no reason for you not to read the news if you live in London because there will always be people distributing free copies of the Standard each morning and evening. Maybe that is why they call London a global city I guess.

Next, cycling! Oh, I cannot tell you how excited I was when people told me that people cycled a lot in London, but then again, what they failed to tell me was the fact that I had to be cycling in the same lane as the buses! Scary? Yeah you got that part right. The busiest road I've cycled on so far is Euston road straight to King's Cross station during peak hour, imagine cycling on Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman but with more buses, that was how it felt like to me. But just as long as you follow the usual traffic rules, it should not be too difficult. One thing I must confess here, the price tags on the bikes here are unbelievable. The reason could possibly be due to the fact that they are of high quality, I guess. Usually the price for a first hand bike is over 300 pounds, that is if you are looking for a road bike. Yes, they have road bikes here, can you believe it? They have all sorts of bikes, foldables ones, the usual mountain bikes with suspensions, road bikes, and even hybrid bikes.

Finally, living in London opens up many doors of opportunity for you. There is always something going on, from concerts to talks and exhibitions to attend. And as always, the only thing that is holding you back is of course, your financial constraints. Sigh~ That has got to be by far the biggest perks of living in London. Plus, because London is so big, I still haven't finished visiting all of them yet.

All in all, I like it here, and if I were to sum it all up, I would have to say that it almost like living in KL, but with a twist of its own.

I leave the rest to you.......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have an idea, lets make a video project!

Leaders?!

Kisah si ayah dan anaknya....