Personal Statement

It's that time of the year again when the lower 6's have to come up with their personal statements. Unfortunately for Bna's batch they had to start way earlier than me and my friends did since Miss Sarah is leaving the school this July.

My own personal account of it, the writing part was fun, but only when you have the idea what to write about. If not, then you'll probably end up being like me, I stared at the walls and looked out the window for days, waiting for inspirations to come while jotting down every single word and sentences that came up to mind on sticky notes, since I feared that I might put them into use, besides forgetting a good sentence or idea is worse than not having one at all in the first place. Other than that, I am glad and honored to have Mr Hughes as my tutor. Not that I know about how my friends' experiences with Miss Sarah and Miss Kate, but all I know having Mr Hughes as my tutor, I had to make appointments to see him to discuss this matter over, listen to his opinions about what I intend to write about. He was the one who actually gave me the idea to begin writing my PS with the application of economic theory. His advices on writing a PS were:
  • spend most of it explaining WHY you want to do that degree
  • try to express that in a very passionate way, show some ENTHUSIASM for what you aim to do
  • be DEFINITE & CONFIDENT, avoid words like 'I think'
  • how does your subject combination in A-Levels help you in your degree later on, what skills have you picked up from them
  • try relating the syllabus of your A-Level subjects with the course (if possible), this shows that how your subject is relevant to the course
  • no need to say you're an all-rounder, but it's adequate to briefly mention that you have the QUALITIES/ SKILLS vital in your course (eg. presentation skills, self-independent)
  • write what is RELEVANT in a BRIEFLY CONVINCING way
  • best to mention that you ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO DEVELOP YOURSELF
What I learnt from doing this personal statement? To me, it was like preparing my own personal mission statement, a justification which opened my eyes to what I am about to do when I get into the university later on. It got me thinking whether I am on the right direction or not towards realizing that dream into a degree in my hands. I get to keep my feet on the ground, which was also another important thing as well. You know how many people would say how they hoped by doing this and that, they would someday be able to change the world, make the world right again? Yeah, a personal statement is not something like that, well not too much of it really. It is more of a realistic view of what you and I should have in realizing our dreams, developing ourselves. That is what matters most, besides, its the voyage that counts, not the destination.

My personal statement is what helped build my faith in what I am doing, keeping my spirits together, something to make you look forward into the future soon.

I leave the rest to you.......

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    I have an idea, lets make a video project!

    Leaders?!

    What's in my typical bag to uni?