Writing is an art

I never knew that my Econs teacher used to take journalism. She just told us that yesterday. Now that was something new. No wonder she is always pointing out how important it is to get our point of view right, and this also explains why she always seem to give us metaphors to simulate the importance of this and that. All this time I thought she gave us all those metaphors simply because she studied in the States, it never occurred to me that my Econs teacher once took journalism as one of her subjects. Interesting fact, huh.

Exams are meant to teach us how to communicate via writing. 

If you have a message that you must deliver to a friend, something important per say, would you go around and look for him, telling him the message first orally, or would you write it down on a piece of paper and have another friend to pass him the message? A basic thing, don’t you think, both methods give the same final outcome; eventually your friend will surely get your message (the only question is how fast one method can reach him compared to the other). But we humans tend to prefer the first option because we believe that it somehow gives the receiver an idea how vital this information is that we have to deliver it ourselves; it sends out an emotional aesthetic vibes to those on the receiving end.  

But what happen when the message that we are supposed to get across is not as short and simple, what if it was a complex idea about a practical proposal that you’d like to share with your colleague? That is when our mind tells us it’s time to write it down. Writing the proposal down, be it in essay form or a formal proposal is a better way to make our friend understand the proposal of ours.

That is what exam is trying to teach us; how to convey our message through writing. In an exam, a candidate is expected to write their answer in a way that when someone else reads it, they could understand what the candidate is trying to say, like my mom used to remind me when I flunked my BM essay back in primary school, ‘write as if even when someone dumb reads it, he will able to understand it’. Perhaps the words of my mom were harsh, but still she had a very good point. 

However, the only problem is, as one further their study, one will eventually come to realize that it is not easy to simplify the more complex concepts in written words. Alright that may also not be true as well, since an idea just occurred to me; that is where examples come in handy when writing, to help illustrate and facilitate the audiences’ comprehension on the topic. 

I think I’ll stop writing for now, because if I proceed any further, I might end up writing more than I intended to. But I will be back with more, that I promise you~

I leave the rest to you…….

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have an idea, lets make a video project!

Leaders?!

What's in my typical bag to uni?