Marriage market; so my parents were right all along....

 The picture above basically describes how the marriage market is modeled using the deferred acceptance algorithm (DAA).

The above is an excerpt from one of the many readings I am supposed to do. This is 'College Admissions and the Stability of Marriage' by D. Gale and L.S. Shapley published in the American Mathematical Monthly (1962). It is part of my Game Theory subject. I was surprised as heck when my lecturer first presented this to us all, and the first thing that came to my mind was, 'Wow, this is exactly what my mom has been telling me about!'.
 
My mom kept telling this time and time again since I finished high school. She would always remind me that naturally girls would always look for the best possible guy for themselves. Therefore, if by chance one day they come across guy B who in their eyes is better relative to guy A, then they will be inclined to go for B.
 
Whenever she told me this, I'll always smile to her and nod in agreement. To me, the scenario is analogous when the men were to be put into the women's shoes as well. It is basically a natural thing, surely everybody wants to somehow get the best for themselves.
 
I was stunned at first, thinking to myself, is this still even considered Economics? Well, as it turns out, such a mechanism is just an example of mechanism design in Game Theory; game theory in in action. Another great example would be Klemperer and his associates, who designed the UK 3G cellphone services auction.
 
So kids, and adults alike, always listen to what your parents have to say. As you grow up, there will always that urge inside of you longing to refute your parents' words. We all do, myself included. And yes, the urge can sometimes be too strong, especially when they are being blunt about it, but try not to say anything back to them.

Resist that temptation to argue with them. The way I see it, since these are the two people granted by the grace of God to have brought you into this world, they earned themselves immunity. Heck, you never know, you could end up like me, and witness before your very eyes how their advices can actually be proven, just like in Maths.

I leave the rest to you......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have an idea, lets make a video project!

Leaders?!

What's in my typical bag to uni?