So others may live


I recently attended a blood drive near my place. I have registered as a blood donor ever since Fresher's Fair in UCL last September but I never seemed to be able to meet the right time to actually donate. Finally being able to do so, I was very happy indeed. I have no specific reason of donating, but I just figure maybe some other people out there might find it useful to have a fellow AB blood type to go around in the case of emergency. Undoubtedly our world now is full of conflicts and war, hence there is an even greater need for us to donate blood for the needy.

As I got back home from the donation, it suddenly occurred to me, why not take another step further and register myself as an organ donor? In the event of my death, at least someone else could continue on living with whatever organs left of me that are usable still. It the very minimal I could ever do to humanity, ensuring that another worthy soul is given a second chance at life when me myself no longer does. I figured it would be nice for him/her to be able to get that second opportunity which rarely happens to us all. It is only fair that I do my part to ensure that.

By far, the only thing left for me to consider is the consent from my family. Since we Muslims don't have that 'giving your final respect' ceremony where friends and family comes all the way to pay their last respect with a coffin wide open right in the middle of the room revealing the dead white face of mine for them to glance and weep about, I do not think there will be much for my family to be against this idea. I might be too young to be thinking about all of this silly stuff, but death can come knocking at your door at any times, so why delay the preparations?

Harvest my organs, give them to those who needs it the most. Just like the motto of US rescue divers, 'so others may live'.


Forgive me if I sounded too sad. Last night as I had enough of doing my Maths I watched a French movie entitled The Intouchables. It's actually based on a true story. It tells about a quadriplegic man who hired someone from the Ghetto to be his personal assistant. They were of two very different worlds, but in the end they became close friends. 


You see, life is too short, so by right each day should be treasured. Not all of us share the same fortune as the person sitting right next to us. Some are are more fortunate than others, but that does not mean that the less fortunate ones should be left alone. We can change that. Bear in mind, we all are humans. No matter how tough we may look from the outside, we all have our own limits and we tend to crack if we are to push ourselves beyond that line. Sometimes, it is good to just simply take the time while you're merrily sipping your cup of coffee by the window and think how you could help lighten the burden of others. You need not to go far, even. Remember your friends, take very good care of them, for God has sent them into your lives to mean something. 

I leave the rest to you.......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have an idea, lets make a video project!

Leaders?!

What's in my typical bag to uni?