Anonymity in writing

Forgive me for the long absence, it's been weeks since I last posted anything here and for that I am truly sorry. My life seemed to have caught up with me; preparing for my Macro exam, finishing up Google analysis for Management class, plus an Arabic oral exam is coming up tomorrow.

Ah, oral exams. My last oral exam has got to be IELTS, which went horribly wrong as much as I could remember. The panels were not only unhelpful with their unfriendly face, being cut off when you are trying so hard to impress them was even worse. Surely that was all in the past now, but if I for one thinks that I could have done better than in my IELTS though, not that I am ungrateful or anything. I know I can do better than that. Guess luck was not on my side a couple of years ago, huh. Besides, I never did like the whole idea on IELTS anyway as I disagree with the whole exam being the yardstick of measuring one's proficiency in English, that has got to be the biggest regret of all.

Anyway, lets move on.

Earlier today I met with Sara Salim right after we had our Macro exam since she wanted to return my textbook. I took that chance to get an autograph from her since she is one of the Creative Directors of UCL's Economics and Finance Society (EFS) just for the hell of it. Just so you know, I honestly think the magazine is really interesting, it's almost like I am reading The Economist the free-of-charge version written by students. While I'm at it, I asked her about the articles in the magazine, why a few of them are left as unnamed authors.



She never did explained to me the real reason behind it, but instead she told me that it is one way of leaving an impression of the readers. In a way, she was right, given the much judgmental nature of the world we are living in nowadays, some things are better left anonymous at times in order for the message to seep in deeper into its audience.

Most importantly, if the message that the author is conveying through the writing creates a strong impression on its readers' heart, it is hoped that they would then proceed another step further and reflect it upon their own self image. Here lies a much bigger threat to the writer; a reaction which stems from such reflection is highly subjective to the readers' own prerogatives. The more optimistic ones might take it as a calling for them to improve on the way how they lead their lives, thus they strive to be better. On the other hand, some may disagree with what being said in the articles.

Thus is the beauty of anonymity. By simply concealing certain facts, we can manipulate how people perceive things to be, preserving the neutrality, thus enabling us to avoid the chances of biasness from occurring.

Which reminded me how I used to blog under different pseudonyms years ago, until last couple of years I changed my name yet again.

What is there in a name? Wow, now that is another story all together. For now, lets just leave it at this.

Not quite a good way to make a comeback, isn't it? Haha. But it's a start.
With the coming of spring, there will be a lot more I will share with you, just you wait...

I leave the rest to you.......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have an idea, lets make a video project!

Leaders?!

Kisah si ayah dan anaknya....