First impression

People keep telling me that first impression is always so important. It is the first rough sketch of a mental image of somebody you've just met. Which explains why people make sure their hair is neatly combed, tuck your shirt in and all. But I don't blame them, interviews are a one-time thing, so it's only fair for us all to act that way.

In that sense, first impression is highly important. It is also useful when you're to build networking ties with people as it builds up the curiosity as well as the feeling of comfort in that certain someone so that he/she is looking forward to seeing you again. Well that is one of the basics of PR, obviously.

From how I see it, people's definition of first impression itself is incomplete. We are too used to defining it as physically presenting yourself in a reasonable way in front of others that we sometimes neglect the fact that it actually is more than that. How you speak is equally important. For those of you who read the chapter of verbal communication in your PR texts, you should know that almost 80% of the times it's not what you say that matters, it's how you actually say it out loud. Your body language, voice intonations plus the choice of words are equally crucial.

So first impression is the way how one presents themselves in front of others is being judged by others. Personally speaking, these can be faked almost easily. What you have to do is be a good actor and know to say the right things at the exactly right time. Timing is always key to the game.

But nevertheless, interview or speeches are much better method of getting to know people rather than just by glancing through their resume. I would rather be rejected after being interviewed as I get the chance to defend myself way better that way. But that's just me.

I leave the rest to you.......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have an idea, lets make a video project!

Leaders?!

What's in my typical bag to uni?