Remember who you are


It's been a month now since I first got here to the UK. They say time flies by so fast, especially when you least expected it to, but surely it's not fast enough. There hadn't been a day that went by without me failing to remember home. To miss home, families and loved one, yes that is common suffered by us all. I can confidently say here that I am not the only one who thinks so; the rest of my friends might as well nod in agreement as they are reading this, which is something I am assured of. Things are alright for me as of now; already settled in and all that, but the one thing I still having trouble getting used to is the freedom.

Freedom, the one thing I’ve lost grip upon for the last 7 years of my life. I am so used to being scolded that I kind of miss the feeling of being mad at by someone. Not that I am a fool who’s asking for a fight, but the truth is, life sure felt different like this. This feeling of immunity from obligations other than to study is different from what I have imagined it to be years ago. If you were to offer me the options to lead a life such as this one a few years ago, I would probably be saying yes undoubtedly, no hesitation there at all.

Guess this is how life as a grown up really is. I do sound like a loser when I say this, but that is pretty much what could possibly be appropriate enough to describe how I feel right now.  I like this feeling, being free really is fun. I have nobody to answer to and no rules to bind me with. I am finally a free man; free to roam this world and do my own business. It sure feels nice, living like this.

But it does not come without a price. It costs me being away from home, thousands of miles from the company of the ones I cared and so very loved. Last week, on one early morning, my mom Whatsapped me, saying that she just got back from Kemaman with my dad for my cousin’s funeral. Though I was not that close to him, yet the thing I stroke me the most was the thought of losing someone whom I loved when I was away. Can you imagine yourself being in such a situation, when someone dear to your heart died while you were miles away from him/her, and you only hear about it a few hours later? What if that dying person was your mother/ father, one of his sons is nowhere near his death bed when he was about to take his last breath on this earth?

That is something for you to think about.

We all need to be reminded, regardless of how brilliant and strong we all might be. Let’s not jump to a conclusion that someone who misses their home so much, who breaks into tears every single night before he/she goes to bed as a sign of weakness. To shed a tear is no laughing matter; it just shows that you’re human. It is more of a strong motivational push which keeps us on track with not just reality but our goals and purposes as well. Just like what Mufasa told his son Simba in the classic movie The Lion King, ‘Remember who you are.’



Remember this, and you’ll always find your way in life.

I leave the rest to you…….

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have an idea, lets make a video project!

Leaders?!

What's in my typical bag to uni?