People with higher ability? Why does it even matter?


In econometrics, when we are trying to investigate the impact of education on wages we have always assumed that ability to be constant. This is a crucial assumption in order for our regression analysis to actually work, because it is usually the case that individuals with higher ability are the ones who chose to spend more time in education. That is our topic for today, people with higher ability, or to make things a whole lot simpler, lets refer to them as smart people.



The diagram I have for you is an oversimplification, of course but nonetheless it is useful to highlight the role of smart people. You see, some might argue that these ‘gifted’ people exist to inspire us, to motivate us to be better. They act as a beacon of hope for the rest of us, reminding us that we can actually do anything we set our minds to. In fact, given what their achievements, surely they would know what they were doing, so why not share their secret to success with the rest of the population? They are in a perfect position to inspire us all.

But then, are they not normal human beings too? Why can’t we just leave them alone, let them be?

They have achieved something, yeay for them. Isn’t that proof enough to motivate you? Or do they must necessarily need to come from humble beginnings just so that you’ll feel that the starting point is a lot more equal?

I personally feel that these are all unnecessary. Motivational talks, who needs those anymore. Not that they ever work on anyone. Besides, the ironic point is these speakers keep telling you that actions speak louder than words, so aren’t those brilliant achievements loud enough for you?

Know what I think?
I am no high achiever that is for sure. If you don’t believe me, you’re more than welcome to take a peek at my track sheets. But having known some of the brightest minds in my country, people like Farid Abang, Nik, Tasnim, Munir, Madihaha, Ameenah and many more, I realized something.

I feel that it is not the grouping of individuals that matters; instead it’s the discovery process before one can be labeled to be smart that does matter. For me, I view it as a two-staged process:
  • Discovery phase - one tries to find who him/herself is and what they are good at
  • Implementation phase- they will then decide how best to utilize what skills they have


Getting back to the question of should these smart people be the ones to motivate others, I say, let that be up to them. Their achievements are testimonies of how one can actually be whatever they hoped they could be. My words to you, find whatever you want to do, and do it. But do bear in mind, the searching might take longer that expected and that is fine. Because it would all be totally worth it, trust me.

I leave the rest to you…….

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have an idea, lets make a video project!

Leaders?!

What's in my typical bag to uni?