House warming!

Last week I held my first ever party, well it was not so much of a party as it was just a house-warming event.  Initially when we had our first ever meeting, we were so overwhelmed by such a long guest list. It never occurred to us that we knew that many people! Finally after much filtering, we agreed to out a cap at 60. Does not sound that much now, does it? But a a bunch of young men who never hosted and be the chef of our own events, we didn't see the hard work coming right at us. At the time, we thought that 60 was a safe number, what more when we have allocated time slots on when to invite which group of people, plus, using some brilliant Maths skills by Nick, we managed to somehow group them all up in a manner by which they would blend in well with the rest of the invited guests, just so that we could avoid any unwanted awkwardness among the guests.

I believe many would agree with me when I say that the preparation stage was the hardest of it all.
The week before the event, my mind was all over the place. I cannot seem to take my mind of off it, questions such as what else could we do to make our event better, and how else would be best for us to carry out this thing kept coming back to me ever since the Monday I set foot into class. I know that some of you might think I may be over-thinking myself, well maybe I did, but I for one do not see it as a bad thing as I wanted was to make the event to go smoothly and make all the invited guests feel happy by the time they left our home.

'That's our home!'- Nick
Moving on, lets talk about the fun stuff, the menu!
Initially we thought it would be best for us to serve a menu that is a set meal, a menu that is well known to go along with particular menus. At first we agreed on doing 'nasi tomato' but since the week before that our friends in Morray served 'nasi minyak' we decided we wanted to be a little bit different. Plus, to do a set meal like that would be more costly, sorry but that's what happened when you have a Mathematician and an Accountant living under the same roof.

So in the end, this was our menu:
  • Mash potato (entrée), sorry but a tragedy costed us the gravy-> Hasan
  • Butter chicken with rice (main dish)-> Afiq Salleh & Afiq Walid
  • Roast chicken (main dish)-> Nick
  • Kek Batik (dessert)-> Munir
  • Tiramisu (dessert)-> Wuffy
Tiramisu! Ignore the failed attempt to make a design on top of it, it just turned out to be some sort of a tribal design, again I've left those gang days behind me.
  • Pisang goreng sira (dessert from the East Coast, just thought we highlight the fact that a number of us are from there)-> Nick & Wuffy
Pisang goreng sira (it's a Pantai Timur dish)
  • finally to clutch the thirst, we have sirap ais limau-> Nick
our menu jotted down on the board


The event started off later than we expected it to be. We were expecting our first batch of guests to arrive by 11am, but unfortunately they weren't here until it was a quarter past noon or so. The six of us were pretty nervous come 11 o'clock, anxiously waiting for them to be here, but their late arrival gave us the time window we desperately needed to put the food out. All in all, everything went smoothly, all the twenty chicken we had were finished by the time the last guest went out of our flat's door. 

Personally, I was again disappointed with myself. Firstly because the first batch of tiramisu that I put out was not the way I wanted it to be. I have yet been able to get that taste I longed for. I was kind of hoping that the chocolate sauce I got would give my tiramisu an even stronger taste of chocolate, but as it turned out, it was not strong enough to stand out among that thick layer of mascarpone cheese. Secondly, remember what happened last time when my family had our open house last August? Yet again my guests were absent, this time around, only one out of my three invited guests made it. Well, at least this time I didn't invite too many guests under my quota, but still I am disappointed nevertheless. What is the point of inviting people over when they are never going to make it. If I am ever to be involved in a public event some time soon, will someone please send me a reminder not to invite anyone. Maybe this is why I never celebrated my birthday, because even if I did, nobody would care to come. 

So there you have it, my first ever house-warming. Lets just hope that someday I will be hosting another house-warming party, and this time that house really belongs to me.

I leave the rest to you.......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have an idea, lets make a video project!

Leaders?!

What's in my typical bag to uni?